Audio/video recording issues
Any microphone or camera should work in VoiceThread, but there are some things that might result in audio or video recording difficulties. Since VoiceThread uses HTML5, checking browser and computer audio settings is a great place to start. Please try all of the workflows below.
Check your web browser’s settings
- Make sure that you are using either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Make sure your web browser is fully up to date.
- Clear your browser’s cache.
- Make sure your browser allows third-party cookies.
- Check the browser’s microphone and webcam settings to make sure the correct input is selected and that VoiceThread has not been blocked. Instructions for doing this are below.
- Click on the menu icon (looks like 3 vertical dots) in the top-right corner of the Chrome window.
- Select “Settings”.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Advanced”.
- Find the Privacy and Security section, and click on “Site Settings”.
- Click on the “Microphone” option.
- Make sure the correct microphone is selected from the top of the page.
- Make sure no variation of “voicethread.com” appears in the blocked list. If it does, click on the trash can icon next to it to remove it.
- Go back to step 4 and repeat this process for the “Camera” option.
- Click on the menu icon in the top-right corner of your Firefox window.
- Select “Preferences” from that menu.
- Click on “Privacy & Security” on the left.
- Scroll down to the “Permissions” section.
- Click “Settings” next to the Microphone option.
- Find voicethread.com in the list and click on it so that it’s selected.
- Click “Remove Website” at the bottom of the list.
- Save Changes.
Once you’ve removed VoiceThread from your existing list of permissions, you should be able to go back to your VoiceThread window and try recording again. This time you should be prompted to allow those permissions again, and you can be sure to click “Allow” to confirm.
Settings for your computer
Make sure that the correct microphone and/or webcam is selected in your computer’s sound input settings. If you can successfully record audio or video in other applications, you can skip this step.
If you are using Mac OS X Mojave or later, you might need to change your system-level security settings with these steps:
- Click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select “System Preferences”.
- Click on “Security and Privacy”.
- Click on “Microphone” on the left.
- Make sure the boxes for any web browsers you see in that list are checked.
- Repeat for the “Camera” option on the left.
Restart your computer
A simple computer restart can help with some issues, especially if it has been a while since you last restarted or if you have lots of other applications running.
Check your network settings
VoiceThread requires certain URLs and ports to be open on your network or allowed in your browser. If one is blocked, this may prevent successful recording. Click here if you are working on a local area network.
Try another internet connection and computer
Trying another location and/or computer will help narrow down where the issue is occurring at the very least. It will also allow you to complete your VoiceThread work in the short term while you continue troubleshooting your own computer or network.